Mail In Your Passport Renewal

Needing a passport to travel is just one of the facts of life when you’re traveling outside of the United States. If it’s been more than ten years since you have used your passport, chances are your passport has expired and you will need to renew it in order to travel outside the country.

There are just two major countries, Canada and Mexico, and only under certain arrival circumstances that do not require US citizens to use passports. When entering by land or sea you do not have to show a passport to get into or out of these countries, but you do when traveling by air.

Renewing your passport to go to other countries is nothing to fret about – today, the renewal process is simpler than ever. You don’t even need to go to a passport acceptance facility to do it – although there are 9,000 facilities that can help you with renewing your passport in the US.

If you don’t want to renew your passport at a facility in person, now you can mail in your renewal quite easily. The first step is downloading the renewal applications off the US government’s website – you don’t even need to leave the house to get this paperwork started.

There are some rules to renewing your passport through the mail. You must have been at least 16 years old when your passport was issued, and your passport may not be more than 15 years old (it’s ok if it has expired). You can have held a minor passport and still renew as an adult.

Your passport must be in decent shape – at least decent enough that its authenticity can be verified. If your passport has been so mutilated, ripped or otherwise damaged that the office cannot be sure of its legality, you will need to go to a passport acceptance facility to apply for a new passport in person.

Name changes on passports can not be processed through the mail. For instance, if you held a passport in your maiden name and got married and want to renew your passport – you will need to apply for a new passport in person at a passport acceptance facility. Other name changes follow these rules.

Sending in your passport renewal info is easy. You just need to enclose your application for renewal, your old passport and your passport photos. Those will be two identical 2″x 2″ photos taken with a passport photo camera. You’ll also enclose your renewal fee for the passport.

Wait times are long for passport renewals, so be sure to give yourself plenty of time before your trip when sending in your renewal forms. The wait is just as long as for new applicants, and is indicated on the government website. Be careful, as you don’t want to hold up your vacation.

This entry was posted in United States Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *